The UN Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Slavery will present his thematic report on Homelessness as a cause and consequence of contemporary forms of slavery during the 54th session of the UN Human Rights Council on 18 September 2023. This event will be an opportunity to deepen the discussion about the interlinkages between homelessness and labour or sexual exploitation, as well as other exploitative practices affecting children and adults.
The side event will bring to the table civil society and State representatives in addition to the Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of slavery, with the objective of sharing their experiences and to formulate and discuss concrete recommendations on how to enhance the protection of persons experiencing homelessness from slavery-like practices.
- Tomoya Obokata, Special Rapporteur on Contemporary forms of Slavery
- Mário Martins, Deputy Permanent Representative for the Permanent Mission of Portugal to the UN and Other International Organizations in Geneva
- Ranjana Sharma, Participatory Action Researcher at CLARISSA Nepal
- Jean Quinn, Executive Director of UNANIMA
- Balakrishnan Rajagopal, Special Rapporteur on the Right to Adequate Housing
- Steven Malby, UK Modern Slavery Envoy